Friday, June 15, 2007

Batman’s new suit revealed, and the Evolution of the Batman costume

The evolution of the bat...


Entertainment Weekly has the first pic of the Dark Knight’s new batsuit….
We’ve got the pic after the jump, as well as a rundown of the evolution of the Batsuit....


You know, I warned you about this when I discussed Batman’s new vehicle—Is Nolan taking the Batman franchise down the same road to hell? While the new suit still retains that ‘body armor-like’ quality that is less comic-booky and more realistic, it’s pretty obvious that they still feel the need to keep changing things up and adding more crap.

Let’s take a look at the evolution of Batman’s suit through the movies, culminating with the latest redesign:


That ain’t a joke, kids. For those of you too young to have ever seen this- this was the actual batsuit worn on the campy Batman and Robin tv show from the 60’s. I think the eyebrows painted on the mask were an excellent touch.


Ah yes, the first Batman movie. That’s a helluva improvement over the tv show. The suit was impressive and simple, though it was so stiff Keaton looked like he was fighting in a body cast. I still can’t figure out how the hell Keaton got selected for the role.


The first suit redesign. I think this was actually a step in the right direction- the suit looks more armor-like, and actually simpler than the first one.


What exactly were we supposed to infer from this redesign- that Batman came out of the closet and got himself a boytoy? Was director Joel Shumacher living out his inner fantasies here? I’m an openminded guy, I know Robin was always part of the comic, and I’ll even grant you that Val Kilmer is kind of sexy in all that skintight latex, but this isn’t the movie I thought I was buying a ticket for. Yeah, this one pretty much marked the beginning of the end. I actually didn’t mind Val in the titular role, but adding Robin was the proverbial shark that Batman jumped. Fuck you, Joel Shumacher.


I think it’s great that Batman finally got in touch with his inner feelings, and isn’t afraid to be himself. And can I just say… Fab-u-lous! The bulging codpieces? The molded-in nipples? De-lish! Do you think George Clooney ever puts this suit back on when he’s bangin’ one of his model/girlfriends?



This is a costume from the lessor-known 1998 adult film- BatBoobs. Ironically, it’s still better costume design than the crap that Joel Shumacher put up.



This is me lookin’ fly for a New Year's party I went to. Notice how I went for the old-skool Batman aesthetic? I put this together in 15 minutes after taking a couple monster bong hits, and it still looks better than that clusterfuck Clooney had to wear. Although I have to admit the latex pants and glowing codpiece would have come in handy later that night…



This is possibly the worst Batman mask I have ever seen- what are those, antennae?
Yep, STILL better than Shumacher’s crap.



Ah, back to basics- the Batman Begins costume. This one harkens back to the Batman Returns costume, and I think we can all agree this has been the best suit so far. It doesn’t hurt that Bale has been the best Batman as well (other than myself at New Years). But here’s the $64,000 question- will Nolan start heading down the same path of overdesigning the suit?


There it is- the newest Batsuit. This is a scan from Entertainment Weekly, originally scooped by Aint it Cool (and kudos for that score). As for the suit- I really like the fact that it actually looks like body armor, almost football pads. But it’s starting to get a little busy, and almost too techy. Notice the text- razors on the forearms, multi-functional cape… Could this be the beginning of a Robocop-inspired design direction for future Batman sequels? Let’s hope not. I don’t want to see batarangs shooting out of his wrists or a friggin Inspector Gadget helicopter popping up out of his head, dammit.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very nice post. That costume of yours is too good to only wear on special occasions, though. You should break that baby out for day-to-day wear. :)

Anonymous said...

Michael Keaton got cast because he was a believable Bruce Wayne, therefore a believable Batman. He had the most intense and versatile eyes which were essential for a role in a mask.

I also think that though the armour-like suits of Batman Begins and Batman Returns looked great, they're not true enough to some of the more modern, dark comic book styles.

But then, Nolan's films are as much of a departure - if not more - as Burton's were. Scarecrow running Arkham? The Joker a vagrant? Ah well, guess we'll never have the perfect Batman interpretation...

goldentiger30 said...

I think we can all say that the storylines ar way better then the second generation movies....but surprisingly i dont like the new suit in the dark knight, in my opinion they should have stayed with the suit from batman begins....this new suited batman doesnt look convincing enough to me, he looks like some project for the us military....not an icon whos ambitions was to strike fear into those who prey on the fearfull...............but thats just me

goldentiger30 said...

Pardon the soelling and grammar, was in a hurry